Update: Space Heater Causes Fatal Barton House Fire

SHARE NOW

Area Agencies are investigating a fatal structure fire that occurred early this morning at a Town of Barton residence.
The Waverly Barton Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 26 Blanket Street in the Town of Barton at about 4AM.
Upon arrival, the Fire Department found heavy smoke inside the residential structure and was informed that an adult male was believed to be still inside the building.
Firefighters located Matthew Coy, 31, on the second floor of the dwelling.
He was removed and transported to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, PA by the Tioga Center Fire Department Ambulance, where he was later pronounced dead.
The Tioga County Fire Investigation Team determined that the fire originated in the living room.
Burn patterns indicated the probable cause was a space heater.
The Waverly Barton Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Tioga Center Fire Department, The Tioga Center Fire Department Ambulance and the Nichols Fire Department.
The investigation into this matter is continuing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *