Update: Gas Explosion Destroys Horseheads Home; NYSEG Called Hours Earlier for Smell of Gas


Two people were injured in a gas leak explosion that destroyed the home at 198 Joseph Street in Horseheads.
Emergency crews are searching the site for a third person who has been confirmed missing.
The explosion occurred at about 9AM Wednesday morning.
A man and a teenage girl were reportedly in the house and suffered serious burns.
The injured were initially taken to Arnot Ogden Hospital and then transferred by helicopter to Strong Hospital in Rochester for treatment at their Burn Unit.
There is no oficial information on the condition of the injured.
A neighbor reportedly called NYSEG at 1AM after noticing an overpowering smell of gas in the neighborhood.
NYSEG responded by 1:30, but there is no further information on their findings prior to the explosion.
The home was fully engulfed in flames when emergency crews arrived.
Streets around Joseph Street were reopened about 2:15PM.
The fire is behind the Grand Central Plaza, which houses the local K-Mart, just off Route 17.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *