On Tuesday, Johnson City police responded to a report of a minor who had received inappropriate messages on her cellphone. Detectives interviewed the minor and determined that the person responsible for the messages was 33-year-old Kevin Cochrane. It was further discovered that the male had exchanged inappropriate content with the minor and also engaged in sexual intercourse with the minor on a separate occasion.
On Wednesday, detectives located Cochrane at his Johnson City residence. A search warrant was conducted and detectives recovered evidence pertaining to the case. Cochrane was processed and charged with the following offenses:
- Rape in the Third Degree, a class E Felony,
- 2 counts of Criminal Sexual Act in the Third Degree, class E Felonies,
- Burglary in the Third Degree, a class E Felony,
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a class A Misdemeanor,
- Use of a Child in a Sexual Performance, a class C Felony.
Cochrane was taken to central arraignment and released on his own recognizance into society by Judge Howard Dingman. The felony charge of Use of a Child in a Sexual Performance is a qualifying offense that allows a judge to set bail and remand a defendant to jail.
Johnson City police said it should be noted that the Broome County District Attorney spoke at arraignment and recommended bail be set.