BINGHAMTON – The national Red Cross blood inventory is the lowest it’s been at this time of year since 2015, with less than a day’s supply of certain blood types in recent weeks. The supply of types O positive and O negative blood, the most needed blood types by hospitals, dropped to less than a half-day supply at times over the last month − well below the ideal five-day supply.
“Fall is typically a time when the blood supply rebounds as donors are more available to give than during the busy summer months, but this year has presented a unique and serious challenge,” said Dr. Pampee Young, chief medical officer for the Red Cross.
The American Red Cross is experiencing an emergency blood and platelet shortage and must collect 10,000 additional blood products each week over the next month for the blood supply to recover and meet hospital and patient needs. Donors of all blood types – especially type O – and platelet donors are urged to make an appointment to give now and in the weeks ahead to overcome this current shortage.
Blood donor turnout has reached the lowest levels of the year as many delayed giving amid a return to the workplace and in-person learning, as well as a recent surge in COVID-19 cases across the country due to the delta variant. As cases spiked in August, blood donor participation decreased about 10%, but blood product distributions to hospitals have remained strong, significantly outpacing blood donations in recent weeks.
Each Red Cross blood drive and donation center follows the highest standards of safety and infection control, and additional precautions – including face masks for donors and staff, regardless of vaccination status – have been implemented to help protect the health of all those in attendance. Donors are asked to schedule an appointment prior to arriving at the drive.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- 10/4/2021: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., Newark Valley Fire Department, Newark Valley FD, 7151 State Route 38
- 9/28/2021: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Moose Lodge No 1595, Moose Lodge No 1595, 3 Goodrich Rd
- 10/14/2021: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., Owego Elks Club, Owego Elks Club, 223 Front Street
- 9/29/2021: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., Holiday Inn Binghamton Downtown, 2-8 Hawley Street
- 10/13/2021: 12:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Chenango Fire Company, 86 Castle Creek Rd
- 10/14/2021: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., Chenango Bridge UMC, 740 River Rd
- 9/28/2021: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Our Lady of Good Counsel, 701 W Main Street
- 10/14/2021: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., Sons of Italy Lodge 443, Sons of Italy Lodge 443, 126 Odell Avenue
- 10/1/2021: 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Johnson City Blood Donation Center, 365 Harry L Drive
- 10/8/2021: 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., American Red Cross, 365 Harry L Drive
- 10/15/2021: 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., American Red Cross, 365 Harry L Drive
- 10/15/2021: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., Vestal United Methodist Church, 328 Main Street